I know bran muffins aren’t everybody’s thing. Plus there is the added debate about raisins or no raisins. Personally, I love bran muffins. With raisins. It is so comforting to bite into a warm, soft, pillowy muffin with a hint of sweetness. Mm!!
So here is my 2nd official recipe for our family cookbook…a good ol’ classic bran muffin. These are pretty perfect. Believe me. Even my husband approves!
Classic Bran Muffins
1 ½ cups wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease pan, or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix wheat bran and buttermilk, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat in oil, egg, sugar and vanilla to buttermilk/bran mixture.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, backing soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into buttermilk mixture until just blended.
- Fold in raisins if using.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins. I like muffins with muffin tops, so I fill the cups to the top of the cup. This method yields 6-8 muffins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.